Google has a reputation for keeping its users in touch with relevant content of high quality. It is making new waves with its recent re-brand of one of its innovative tools- Google Discover. What makes Google Discover fascinating is the impression created on the minds of users, content publishers, and digital marketers.
Evolving from Google Feed, this new smart feed keeps users updated on topics of interest. It also serves as a new source for traffic for content creators. It gives a different dimension to SEO (search engine optimization), which translates into the generation of revenue. Traffic is important, and it is a genuine reason to pay attention to Google Discover. There is even more to it. Here you will learn everything about Google Discover and see a new way to boost your site's traffic.
What Google Discover Is
Google discover works in a similar framework as Google Feed. It generates relevant content to the screens of users via the Google app or mobile site. It is more of a news feed than a social media feed. Even though many users describe it as the latter, it keeps users updated on selected topics of interest and current trends.
In the past, all you would expect from using Google via your mobile devices is a simple search facility. Now, you get much more. You currently have access to countless suggestions of stories, materials, and articles from Google by clicking on any card. Still, there is no facility to view or post statuses. So, it is not a replacement for other social media platforms such as Facebook. You are only presented with the suggestions from Google.
How Google Feed evolved into Google Discover
This is not Google's first attempt to use a content browsing tool to engage with its users. This concept was previously known as Google Feed, which uses the search history of users to create appropriate content. Right from its conception, Google's feed has been highly customization. Intending to offer relevant content to users before they step into the search area, Google took its feed section to a whole new level. Google Discover also expands on Google's vision as a search engine in a broader sense. The blueprint is to offer a query-less search experience with visuals. Instead of waiting for users to punch whatever comes to mind into the search box, Google attempts to pair people with relevant interests beforehand. It also incorporates thumbnail-pictures to link users to related blog posts or articles.
The re-branding of Google Feed to Google Discover lives up to the vision of the brand, but it does even more. New features, advanced tools, and increased SEO opportunities are now available to users.
How is Google Discover Different?
As with any form of revamping, you can expect changes, and that is precisely what took place. The new Google Discover features a new aesthetic and practical outlook. Some differences are quite glaring such as its title, while others are less pronounced. Before delving into the possibilities for SEO, you will be better served with discovering the six major updates of this new product.
1. A New Name Google Feed was a literal name, and it suggested that all users could get was a feed. With Google Discover as its new name, users can imagine more. Google wants its users to explore deeper into what they love the most. The brand is working towards the provision of experience of ongoing search exploration. This opposes short-term searches done in the past. It describes Google's idea to engage users for longer sessions amid complex queries.
2. Introduction of Evergreen Content The cards to the news feature and emerging trends were quite limited in Google Feeds. This was a result of the system placing much of its focus on appropriate content. This is no longer an existing issue with the introduction of Evergreen content. This new feature increases the access to materials available to each user. Here is how it works. A relevant content that you are yet to see will be available for your consumption, even though it has spent some time on the internet. Google Discover basically matches you with any vital information in your line of interest. You cannot miss out on much with this new feature.
3. Revamped Design Just as its name changed into something more intriguing, its design transformed to keep users glued to their screens. It now has a more functional and cleaner design. Titles are now displayed on cards, alongside a concise description with its published date. One important change in design is the appearance of topic headers. These headers state why a video or story appears on your feed, helping you navigate related content. A newly attached asterisk-shape icon found next to pictures and articles will help you mark your content feed. It enables you to separate the different story types and learn more about this interface.
4. Multiple Languages Multi-language speakers are not left out in the mix. Right now, speakers of Spanish and English can access both languages on their feed. Although this is currently restricted to English and Spanish, other words will feature in time. Right now, users of both languages can read their content in one language and watch videos in another. Oh yes! You heard that right. Language precedence can be set with Google Discover.
5. Expanded accessibility Google Feed was integrated into Google's app. This isn't the case with Google Discover as it is open to mobile browsers and not the app alone. You can access your personalized feed by going to Google's home page (www.google.com) on your browser. This is even more important as not all users will install the Google Discover app on their mobile devices. So, it makes great sense to make it available to mobile browsers as well.
6. Adjustable preferences It is no secret that Google integrates AI (Artificial Intelligence) in its system to streamline and personalize content based on the preference of each user. As it tailors the feeds to the behavior and searches history of each user, it gives users a great deal of control. What this means is that you decide what appears on your screen and what does not.
Each topic header gives access to customization. You can customize each topic, control Google Discover, send feedback, and hide a story. This is possible by accessing the controls located beside the topic header. Besides, you can inform Google that you want a select category of stories using the integrated toggle switch.
How Google Discover Affects SEO
The Changes Brought by Google Discover does more than streamlining personalized content to each user. It opens another dimension to the business side of things. SEO is integral to content development, and Google Discover takes it to a whole new level. Here is how Google Discover SEO works.
The consensus with every Search Engine is that the top results get more traffic due to higher exposure. This applies to Google Discover as well. Nevertheless, as a result of its ties to the search data of users, it uniquely approaches SEO. Google Discover's development reveals the intention of the company to prepare users for continuous change.
How to use Google Discover SEO
Google Discover SEO focuses on three core metrics, which include a broader audience appeal, content engagement promotion, and amplifying visual media of users. To make the most of its SEO, you must harness its core processes. Here is what you must do.
1. Create diverse content of high-quality Content is King! It always has been and always will. Still, quality content performs more magic. It propels SEO, making it integral in getting your content on the feed of a user's Google Discover page. Indexed sites abiding by the rules of Google will make their way into the Discover feed, but the prime spot is for top posts of high interests. Just as Google Search Engine favors mobile-friendly sites, Google Discover requires a website to be mobile-friendly for indexing and featuring.
Although the algorithm of Google Discover merges vital contents with the user's preference, you can still engage with a broad audience. Especially those who closely follow your niche or industry. Understanding the searches of your ideal customer, how your website solves their need, and your approach to catering to their pain points will keep users glued to your services.
You must also pay attention to the fact that Google Discover holds recent trends and evergreen content with high regard. This simply means that drawing massive traffic volumes require the production of trending and evergreen contents.
2. Introduce media to your content Each card on Google Discover has a visual component to include images and videos. This goes on to reveal Google's desire to encourage the use of media to build connections and engagements with audiences. Google's introduction of visuals to its search engine in recent times has yielded positive results, and more users are buying into the idea of visual search. The layouts of these cards depict how Google plans to optimize visual search on its Discover feed over time. The thumbnails found on each card attracts the attention of users as they scroll by; this means that you must include enticing pictures to describe your web-pages. Make sure to use sharp photographs of high-resolution as it strengthens your online presence.
Videos are other forms of media that you can include on Google Discover to draw traffic. Incorporating the use of videos will boost your Google Discover's SEO strategy.
3. Focus on engagement Even though Google Discover is not an exact social media feed, the promotional strategies such as engagements proven to work on social media can prove to be rewarding on it. No doubt, engaging your audiences keeps them in-tuned with your brand. This creates a platform for sales conversions and achieving your business goals. Setting your site and brand as an authority is a great way to engage with your audience. It does not end here. You must still encourage the sharing of your content to other users. This is even more valuable for trending content as topical and fascinating stories exposes your site to increased traffic.
Creating high-quality content, including articles, blog posts, graphics, images, or videos synced with the latest trends, remain the best way to receive attention. Google Discover brings such content to the doorsteps of users in a time when the competition is stiff. It also considers the shift in the way users consume content, thereby taking personalization to a whole new level. There is no doubt that you stand to benefit in many ways from the features of Google Discover. But how that happens depends on you.